Monday, November 25, 2013

Writing Prompt Monday

So, I am not sure how often I will be supplying writing prompts throughout any given week, but I am going to make a point to put at least one, or two, or maybe three, up every Monday. I will be pulling these from places, books, and my own noggin.











1. I call this one "The Salesmen," and it came out of a writers group that I participate in on a week, to bi weekly basis. This is where you start: A salesmen walks up to a house, knocks on the door, and is waiting for an answer. Go from there. You could think about what he is going to sell, what kind of personality he has, does he like his job, who is going to answer the door, etc. Just have fun with it.

2. This one is for developing a character (and I owe this one to Amanda Miller). Imagine twenty things that you would find in your characters trash can or waste basket.

3. I call this next one, "The little things." Look out the window nearest to you. Now really take in everything you are seeing. Then imagine that one thing, one little detail, was just slightly off. If it is bright and sunny imagine that the sun is now blue, or a hot dog vendor is selling buns filled with celery. How would these really slight changes affect the world? Assume that in that world these are what is considered normal. Creating a small world were the simple facts are slightly different from your own can be entertaining, inspiring, and can be an exercise in keeping consistency in your writing.


Hope these give you something to think about! If enough interest is shown I might start a Facebook group or something for a small writers group. Just a thought.







1 comment:

  1. Wow... you've been quite busy this morning! I feel I should kick myself into high gear, go out in search of coffee, and accomplish writing more than one simple blog post (most of which I had written yesterday).

    Thanks for some Monday motivation!

    ReplyDelete