Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Review and discussion of Joe Bunting's "14 Prompts" and a look at The Write Practice

Photo property of thewritepractice.com
Before I started this blog I had never really noticed how many blogs there were out there. If someone had asked me, "Hey, do you read blogs?" I would have said, "No, that is reserved for a special kind of internet vampire and I like the light of day," or something along those lines. I am hoping that my current interest in blogging is not the result of a obsessive, but brief, spark that is doomed to fade. In my efforts to not let that fate transpire I have started looking at other blogs for ideas, and general interesting content. I recently came across The Write Practice blog, which is where the above image came from (I am also attempting to not violate any copy-rights). This blog, founded by a Mr. Joe Bunting, and supported by several others, offers a lot of advice to creative writers, as well as a space for them to practice. I think that is where the "practice" in the blogs name sake comes from. I good guess I'd imagine.

Anyway! To the point. The Write Practice is currently offering a digital copy of the above book titled 14 Prompts, written by Mr. Bunting, for free; all you need to do is subscribe to the blog. I have done just that and just finished reading it through. It is a quick read and offers some authentically helpful pieces of advice along with its 14 prompts.

14 Prompts is a helpful and understanding kind of writing guide with pieces of beautiful and well written prose thrown in. The author encourages readers to participate in a constructive writing environment and offers both this book, and it's parent blog as venues for just that. Bunting makes the logical effort to promote his blog by suggesting that readers of 14 Prompts should respond to its prompts and discussion questions on the blog itself. However, Bunting takes the extra step to, and the thoughtful one, and offers the idea that his book could be used in a small group off the net, and after reading it becomes apparent that was a thought he had in mind during its creation.

The text covers lots of topics and supplies various prompts and discussion questions. Bunting suggests that despite his book of prompts being a very short list, it is an effective list, and means to cultivate more than just seemingly random ideas for the reader.

As I read through the text I took note of several ideas that I personally found useful. The text also touched on the biggest problem I face personally as writer : preoccupation with perfection. The first line of the 14th prompt of Bunting's book is "Perfection is no place for a writer." I feel both comforted and unnerved by this message; one side of my brain thinking, "Oh thank god," and the other awkwardly asking "really?" and neither gaining any ground.  I think that this is a challenge that many writers face, and I know that it can't be easily resolved, if at all, but Bunting's advice reminds me that my preoccupation should really be with writing, and not with perfection. The rest of Bunting's last prompt continues discussing this issue and offers some interesting insight on how to manage it. Definitely worth a look if this is a specific problem you suffer from.

If you have any interest in creative writing I would highly recommend taking a look at, and of course following, Bunting's blog and picking up a copy of his book. What I have covered only scratches the surface and there is plenty of other great advice to be had, as well as a supportive group of like minded individuals to support you.


Pleasant reading.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment