Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Flash Fiction: The Zoo






This was an exercise in 2nd person narrative writing. Comments welcome.

















The Zoo


Yes. Yes. Yes. You can feed the monkeys. What. The sign? No. No. No. You cant feed the monkeys. Because the sign says you cant. What? You want to leave? But we just got here. Quit pouting. You know your mother will be angry with me if you say you didn't have fun at the Zoo. She will think that I didn't actually take you to the Zoo and left you at her mothers house, yes grandmas house. Your mother will think that I went and did something that I actually wanted to do, instead of taking you to the Zoo.

No. No. No I didn't say that I didn't want to come to the Zoo with you. I brought you hear didn't I? Yes. Yes. Yes I love you, don't think that because I do not want to be hear means I do not want to be here. What? That makes perfect sense. How would you know you are five. Alright tell you what we will get some Ice cream and you can watch the polar bears swim.

What do Polar bears eat? They eat seals normally but they are probably being fed steak right now, lucky  bastards. No I didn't say bastards. What I didn't say – Whoa look at that bear dive!

I know that you didn't want to see the Polar bears you wanted to see the monkeys, but you did see them. What? up close? You can't get too close they might bite your nose off. Yes. Yes. Yes. You would not have a nose if you got to close to them. You see that sign? It says the nose biting monkeys. Wait. What? You can  read? You are like five how can you read that sign? Hooked on phonics? What is that some kind of brain drug or something? You didn't just say “How would I know I am five?,” do not get smart with me I will – hey hunny!

I thought you were meeting us at the restaurant. What? But I wanted to. But I. But I. But I. Yes I know what no means but. No buts huh. Well this has turned into a fucking fantastic day. What? I do not care if he hears me. The kid is going to figure it out sooner or – OUCH!

You didn’t have to slap me.

No comments:

Post a Comment